Thursday, October 14, 2010

Nice hat, Maggie...

... It's a turban, dammit!*

I saw a scarf earlier and had the irrepressible urge to wrap it tuban-style around my head. So today, dear blog readers, I come to you... be-turbaned. Turbanized. The Turbanator. Like a turban, worn for the very first TIME!

This past Wednesday I did not have school. The leetle froshies had a retreat, and the sophmores and juniors were taking the PSAT. *dark chuckle* I am so done with all of that standardized test stuff. I got the scores I need. *holds up stack of scores*

Since I had the day off, I decided to be productive and go on a college visit! Tuesday night my mom and I drove four hours to Ames, Iowa.** The University actually has a hotel inside the Union, which is cool and convenient.

The next day I talked to the Honors program, the Engineering program, the Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) at Iowa State, and ate dorm food.***

I am not entirely sure that I will go to Iowa State, but I did decide something while I traversed the beautiful campus, saw the green, yellow, orange, and red trees, smelled the scent of fall, watched all the students streaming along the walkways and lounging on the lawn.

I will be happy and successful almost anywhere I choose to go. It's not as if there is ONE college that is right for me. Most colleges I've considered look spectacular, have great credence. But why stress myself out so much by filling out tons of applications and trying to narrow my search down?

I decided to just stick with the three schools that I've either already been accepted to, or have nearly finished my application for. After that, it's a matter of which campus feels best and/or which will end up costing the least.

I hope that I was able to get my thoughts across both coherently and captivatingly. I know, you must be riveted. But this is what is happening in my life right now, and that's what I can blog about.


With a college essay to finish,
Maggie

Reader Palooza:
Alysa: Of course you agree with me. I've impressed my philosophies into your brain throughout the many long talks we've had this year. You have no choice but to agree.

Hannah: Calculus is hard, and you shouldn't worry too much about it. I think it's my lowest grade right now (not bad, just not my best grade). I understand it, but math can be unforgiving sometimes, even if you know everything that's going on. That's why if you take the AP test, getting around a 60% will get you a kickass score.

And I've heard that plays tend to fall apart a lot before the actual performances, but that the opening show and the following ones end up being awesome! That's just what I've heard, of course. But it's all mental, like I said. It's all in your head. You're dreaming! This is juuuuust a dreeeeeammmm!


*Actual thing that my dad said to me, actual thing that I said back. My life is... well, you can fill in the blank.

**For those of you who don't know, Ames is where the Men of Ministry of Magic grew up. It is a magical place of wonderment. Jason, Luke, and Aaron actually went to the university I'm looking at. And Aaron actually studied engineering there. So I am going to be taking many of the SAME classes as Aaron Nordyke! =O

***I'll be the first to admit that I have been spoiled when it comes to food. I think that the dorm food will be the most difficult adjustment for me when I go off to do scholarly things whilst at University. *directs back up to blog*

2 comments:

  1. I feel as though I was woefully unprepared for college compared to you. I didn't even know what college I was going to until I got there. I'm not entirely sure how it happened even.
    That being said, college is AWESOME. No really. It will be awesome and you will be happy and successful and fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only applied to three schools. I knew I didn't want to go to a big state school and I knew I didn't want to go to a school within an hour of home. I honestly didn't REALLY want to go to the school I ended up at until they invited me to a scholarship competition weekend and then I just fell in love. I honestly couldn't think of myself at any other place... Except for maybe the UK...

    ReplyDelete